What to Consider Before Hiring a Van
When hiring a van there are several things you should be considering, to ensure you are getting the right vehicle for your requirements at the right price. Here are some tips to help you:-
Size. Before you even start to compare prices you must work out the size of van you require, as most hire companies will have a wide range of vehicles, from very small vans up to the large Luton vans. If the van is too big you will be overpaying on rental cost but if it is too small you will be making more trips. Another consideration is also the weight of the items you wish to move. If they are very heavy items it is advisable to have a van with a tailgate lift to help with loading and unloading.
Price. When looking at the cost of your van hire ensure you are comparing like with like. Read the terms and the conditions carefully and know what is included and what is excluded in the price. Also check that the insurance cover is adequate for your needs and if possible go for a deal with unlimited mileage. It is also a good idea to pay for the transaction by credit card.
When collecting the hire van, complete the following checks:-
- Check all of the documentation carefully to make sure you are not being sold extras you don’t need.
- Take your driving licence, a credit card for your excess deposit, and a current utility bill to show your home address.
- Check the vehicle inside and outside for any damage.
- Check the van’s mileage is correct and check the fuel level.
- Make sure that you know what to do if the van breaks down or you have an accident.
- Before driving off familiarise yourself with the size of the vehicle and the control panel
When returning the hire van ensure:-
- The vehicle is in the same condition as you collected it in.
- Check the fuel level is the same.
- Check where you should leave the keys, if you are dropping off the van out of office hours.
- When your credit card bill arrives check your statement to ensure that no additional charges have been made for the hire of your van.